The Fanciful World of Steampotville: A Book Review


As you might imagine, we read a lot of children's books. A lot. So it's pretty difficult to show us something we haven't seen before. I think Steve Ouch's Steampotville may have come close. This book has become an internet sensation, selling hundreds of copies almost completely through word-of-mouth online. Ouch wrote, illustrated, and published SteamPotVille himself. I've read this book to my son several times since we received our copy a few weeks ago and he absolutely loves it. And what's not to like? The swirling pictures, highly-costumed pet and colorful characters are a toddler's delight. But here's a quick admission?: I'm not entirely sure what this book is about.



One day the cow was "moo-ing" in the pasture and the cat was "meowing" indoors, but one strange dream later everything went topsy-turvy with all of the town's animals behaving out of character. Do we ever find out who did it? Or why? Or if it was all part of the dream? Will there be a sequel? I. Just. Don't. Know. But it's rip-rollicking fun as we're literally turned sideways and upside down through the pages of this glorious and glossy adventure. And that was what was most important to my son. He had a literally fantastic time in Steampotville.
So while it's true I don't really know what to make of Steve Ouch's debut book, my almost 3-year-old totally gets it. The illustrations are amazing and, let's face it, there's something brilliant about art that goes over the parent's head. I may not know precisely what I'm recommending, but I recommend it. The book will be officially released in brick-and-mortar stores in spring of 2010. But SteamPotVille
may also be ordered from Amazon.com for $13.99.

9 comments:

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

I've never heard of this book either. Going to have to check it out for sure. It looks quite fun! Over from SITS welcome wagon to say hi & hope you love SITS as much as I do!

Carma Sez said...

I follow Steve Ouch on Twitter, and he is a hoot and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Glad you enjoyed the book.

Stopping by from SITS to say hi and welcome. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers. I have a giveaway for a $50 giftcard on my blog that you may be interested in entering.
carma :-)

said...

Welcome to the SITS community!

Just Lisa said...

Sounds like such a fun book!

I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you with us!

Aubrey said...

Such a visually appealing book! My 3 year old would LOVE this!

Coming over from SITS with a big HELLO & Welcome!

Penelope said...

Welcome to SITS! I love kids stuff...especially now that I'm expecting.

~Penelope

Mercedes said...

Welcome to SITS! We are excited to have you!

Mimi said...

Looks like a fun book for the kiddies.

I'm stopping by from Welcomistas to welcome you to SITS. You'll love it, the support rocks!

African-American Brides said...

Thanks so much, ladies, for stopping by! And I'll be getting WAY more active this week. :)

Erica

Blog Widget by LinkWithin